Build 175 does not seem to fix the problem on Linux whereby sometimes Rainlendar puts itself atop all other windows

I installed build 175. The problem of my title persisted. That is the following problem. The first time that one closes Rainlendar and then restarts it, Rainlendar appears atop of other windows, but ((because of my transparency settings?) in semi-transparent fashion. So I restarted my DE (Cinnamon) but the problem remained. So I did what I did with previous builds, namely, restarted Rainlendar once more. That fixed (well, worked around) the problem - as it did previously.

Screenshot:

Linux Mint (Cinnamon) 21.2

I misspoke: unfortunately, on build 175 the overlay problem is worse than on the previous builds. For, now, at least most of the time and seemingly irrespective of what I do, Rainlendar windows appear topmost always.

I have reverted to build 174.

The newest build, build 176, suffers from the same problem with transparency - the problem (1) whereby ‘on desktop’ windows show through other windows. This is a regression from build 174.

Also, and weirdly, (2) setting my two rainlendar windows to be ‘on bottom’ rather than ‘on desktop’ makes one of the windows (the calendar itself) get obscured (as it should) by other windows, whereas the other window (‘events’) continues to show through other windows. I am unsure whether build 175 suffers from the problem (because I did not test it). I am unsure too whether build 174 suffers from the problem: it seemed to, but restarting my DE - Cinnamon - seemed to fix it.

Also (3) in build 176 rainlendar no longer appears within my Cinnamon menu (/application launcher). Again I don’t know whether than happens in 175. It does not happen in 174. So: another regression (starting either with 175 or 176).

I have Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon installed on a VM so I upgraded the latest Rainlendar on it and tried different transparency and position settings. The only strange thing I found is that when the position was set to “On Desktop” the today window was below all other windows but the calendar and the lists were set always on top. Other window position worked as expected.

So, I have no idea what could be causing the issues with the window positioning that you are having. It could be something specific to your system/hardware or some weird side effect caused by another application installed to your computer.

Rainy

Thank you for the information and for the testing that you did.

You suggest that the some of the problems at issue owe to something specific to my setup. Perhaps so. Yet, I have problems 1-3 on two computers, albeit computers that are set up similarly to each other. Also, and as I wrote: I did not have problem 1 on builds <= 174; in that sense, then, a change in Rainlendar caused that problem. So one might ask: what changed between builds 174 and 175?

Perhaps there is something awry with the transparency handling in Rainlendar (in various versions) and/or in Cinnamon. It is worth noting also that I have a ‘Conky’ on each of my affected PCs.

Did you test for problem 3 within your VM?

The only change that is related to the window handling in b175 was that Rainlendar doesn’t call gtk_window_set_keep_below and gtk_window_set_keep_above anymore unless the position is actually changed from the current value. This is because calling the functions would bring the windows on top so they kept popping up e.g. when there were changes to the events.

I didn’t check the launcher shortcut earlier since I had already Rainlendar installed on the VM but I now removed the app and verified that the launcher shortcut was removed too. And after reinstalling the shortcut was added under the “Office” category as it should.

Thanks for the reply.

I can only think that the code change that you mention either somehow introduced, or trigged, a bug. (If triggering is the issue, then the bug will be in GTK or Cinnamon or perhaps in Mint’s window manager, the latter being called ‘muffin’.) At any rate, until the bug is fixed, I will have to stick to b175.

The launcher: thank you for investigating but I myself will not spend time investigating that particular matter any further.

I confirm this behavior on Ubuntu 22.04 (no VM) using 2.20.1.b176 or 2.20.0.b175.